The Laser Institute of America (LIA; Orlando, FL) has released its LIA Guide to High Power Laser Cutting, a comprehensive resource that touches on all features of laser cutting. Written by a team of specialists led by industry experts Dr. John Powell and Dr. Dirk Petring, the 136-page guide enables students, engineers, and scientists to gain a more in-depth understanding of the science behind laser cutting.
Some highlights of the book include:
- Physics of Laser Cutting;
- Design and Mechanics of a Laser Cutting Machine;
- When to Use Fiber vs. CO2 Laser Cutting Machines;
- Information on How Different Materials Interact with Laser Cutting Machines;
- Practical Advice for Purchasing a Laser Cutting Machine; and
- Tables of Laser Cutting Speeds for Different Materials.
This is a working reference tool for laser users in any industry. The authors delve into the complex physical and chemical interactions that occur during laser cutting, and describe the efficiency of laser cutting changes with the laser or material type, the power of the laser, and the thickness of the material.
The cost of the guide is $60 for LIA members and $70 for non-members; to purchase the guide, please visit www.lia.org/store/product/125.